WATERCOLOR ON FABRIANO PAPER. 50 X 65,3 CM [FOR SALE].
This watercolour shows Caronia at the Cunard pier in New York. It was great fun to do so many shades of green in this painting. I hope to have captured her in all her distinction.
Nickname of the Caronia given by the people from Liverpool after the eponymous green and white Green Goddess trams of Liverpool.
This so called ‘cruising green’ was to distinguish her from the Cunard liners on the Atlantic run and consists of four shades of green.
The Caronia had several passengers who almost lived on board year-round. Miss Clara Louise MacBeth lived for more than 15 years on board spending $ 20 million in total
Caronia was built at John Brown’s Shipyard in Clydebank Scotland for Cunard White Star Line, serving from 1948 to 1967. In many ways, the ship was a blueprint for all the luxury cruise ships that followed. Although the ship could also be used on the Transatlantic -dual-purpose ship – it had been a full-time first-class luxury cruise ship since 1959
Everything about Caronia was very luxurious, for example, there was a private bathroom in each cabin, there was also a pool. Passengers enjoyed an almost 1 on 1 treatment from her crew. Several passengers sort of lived on the Caronia, culminating in Mrs Louise McBeth who lived onboard for 15 years, except on transatlantic crossings, Caribbean cruises and time in port / drydock.
Most notable of Caronia her appearance was the huge funnel, the largest ever placed on a ship. It was also a huge wind catcher that made navigation difficult at times. Another special feature was her green color scheme, named ‘Crusing Green’, a fantastic marketing invention by Cunard. This color distinguished her from the other Cunard ships.
Cruises on the Caronia were divided into the following: Great World Cruise, Spring Mediterranean Cruise, North Cape Cruise, Summer Mediterranean Cruise, Autumn Mediterranean Cruise and the Caribbean Cruise. In the mid-1960s, there was increasing competition in the cruise market (including the arrival of ships such as Sagafjord) and financial problems for Cunard.
The Caronia was not profitable any more. In 1967 the ship was sold to a Greek shipping magnate renamed Colombia and then Caribia. After two disastrous cruises, including one with an Engine Room explosion, Caronia was parked in New York until 1974.
The German tugboat Hamburg would tow her to Taiwanese breakers for scrapping. While sheltering from a tropical storm off Guam, the towing line broke and the former Caronia grounded and broke into three pieces. A sad ending for this once stately ship. Caronia was only in service for 19 years of her 25 years of existence.